Monday, January 25, 2016

blog post #1

Integrating computers for teaching is useful because it helps instructors become more efficient and some might even say more effective with their teaching methods. Teachers can become more effective by using computer programs like word to create lessons plans, create graphs to provide visual representations for the students; they can also use PowerPoint to have presentations for students. As you can see the benefits of computers are limitless but one of the most important benefits is the access to information that both the students and teachers have with computers.  Access to this information will help students reinforce what they are learning. Although access to so much information can be detrimental to kids learning the benefits of computer far outweigh the cost. I believe that having access to all this information with help students develop their cognitivism at a younger age.


The ISTE standards are essential to education. Although some rules are subjective it is good for the education system because it helps set a benchmark. The ISTE standards make sure that students are receiving a quality education and that they are being prepared for the future. I find it very interesting that the ISTE standards exist, with all the talk about computers replacing teachers. The fact that this standard exist shows that computers are here to help improve teachers and their skill sets. One of the standards that I have not yet mastered is the communication of information in a effective way. With so many options on how to portray information I have not yet found a system that best accompanies my teaching style.



Todays kids are definitely digital native. They grow up with iPads and are taught through educational shows at a young age. Being a digital native means growing up and being around technology; and while it is true some people can not afford technology like computers most school now days and libraries have them so computer access is very easy for this generation. A big emphasis has been put on technology in todays culture, so there is  not a lot of difference in my computer literacy and my instructors because of the high demand for computer literacy that the education system has for instructors. I expect my students in the future to be as I am on the same level, because as technology advances so will the demands for teachers to improve their computer literacy.

3 comments:

  1. I forgot that their are educational programs on TV for younger children, that is definitely a way that digital natives have grown up differently.

    ReplyDelete
  2. In my blog I wrote that I thought my students grasp of technology might surpass mine especially since technology is consistently becoming more advanced and they will be growing up with newer technology. I agree that teachers (myself included) will have to constantly keep up to date with the changes in technology.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I disagree that this entire generation of kids are digital natives. Although the majority of kids have grown up with technology, there are still many students that haven't had an equal opportunity when it comes to being around technology.

    ReplyDelete